Wednesday, December 31, 2008

How lucky am I?


When I was growing up, I can only remember one time my father raised his voice at me. The one time he did yell, we were hunting and he told me to get down because somebody was shooting towards me. Hard to believe, but completely true. Ask any of my siblings. That's just the kind of man he is. How lucky am I to have been raised that way?

I recently learned a little something about my wonderful husband. When we went to Destin for Jarin's military training, he asked me to put his flight suits in my bag, since it was bigger and he had run out of room in his smaller bag. Things got busy and we left town hours later than we had intended and I left those flight suits right where he had left them in our room. I discovered my mistake at 10:00 pm on Sunday as I was unpacking the bag. Training began at 7:30 am the next day. You can't just buy a new flight suit either. They're military issue. Plus he had no name tag or military patches. I didn't expect him to yell at me. He never has. But the more I think about it, the more thankful I am for such a loving and patient husband. He paused for a moment, then laughed and gave me a big hug. We called a friend and borrowed a flight suit and flight cap from him. (Its a small world in the church and military.) It was ill-fitting as Jarin is 6' 4" and Aaron is 6', the patches and nametag were all wrong and the hat was a little snug on Jarin's giant noggin, but he never complained or even took a little jab about it. How lucky am I to be married to such a great guy? I could go on and on about Jarin. He's the best husband and father I could ever ask for and the longer I know him, the more impressive I find him to be.


2 comments:

Whitney said...

Love this post Sarah. It is definitely journal-worthy. Jarin is a great guy. Lucky you!

The State of Our Family said...

I can't help but giggle as I picture Jarin in a flight suit that shows his wrists and ankles. Funny story! Great to catch up with you guys! Blogs rock!