Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fourth of July


Happy 4th of July!!! This year we celebrated the fourth of July by attending the parade here in Brandon. Well, I took the kids and celebrated as Jarin has been out of town. We missed him! But we met up with a few other families from the ward, which made for good company.

Here are the kids all lined up waiting for the parade. Thayn kids don't like direct sunlight, just in case you didn't know that already, and its almost impossible to catch them smiling on a good sunny day.
I thought this was one of the cooler floats. All the paraders threw beaded necklaces instead of candy. There was still some candy, but we came home with a TON of necklaces. As for the candy.... there was plenty of that. The kids had a one day free for all on the candy and then it goes in the trash. Happy day for all!!


This guy was my favorite. He was one of the Egypt Shriners. I'm not sure what the Egypt part means, but Shriners help a lot of people, including my dear mom who was treated in a Shriner's hospital as a baby and walks today because of it.
The parade was a LONG one and it was a hot day. This is my kids best attempt at a big smile for the camera after the parade.


When we got home, Nate wanted in on the candy action. He dug around in the box for a while and chewed a few wrappers down.
We watched a fireworks show (and an exciting lightning show) in a parking lot near the mall. We enjoyed spending the evening with Matt and Sarah Mitchell and kids. We had glow sticks and sidewalk chalk, plus a few snacks to keep kids happy. All in all, we had a fun time. The kids were great and it made for a pretty relaxing evening. Thanks guys for not shunning me in my husbandlessness!


Fun with glowsticks! Matt had a great time taking the kids pictures while they played with the glowsticks. I think they turned out pretty cool. Plus, the kids were very patient while we waited out the traffic.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I think we have a tradition in the making. The only thing missing this year was Jarin. Thanks again for celebrating the 4th with us!

williams family said...

looks like you guys had a really good time. Remember when we sat in a parking lot watching fire works husbandless :)We had lightning with our fire works and lots of rain but it was still fun

wildthayn said...

Mostly I remember your strawberries, but oh the good old days! I miss you!!

Hunter Family said...

Sounds like you had a great day! I usually spend the Fourth of July husbandless as well. This year it was no different. The kids and I sat in the front yard and watched the neighbor's firework show... until the cops and a huge ladder truck came and put an end to it. OOPS! Apparently we are still in the city limits!